- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter over medium heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened. Add cheese and seasonings, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in macaroni. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 30-35 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Mac and Cheese
"This was good, but it seemed like something was missing from the topping (though I did use gluten-free bread crumbs). If I make again, I would use seasoned bread crumbs."
"I have been looking for a great tasting mac and cheese recipe for a long time. This one surpasses all I have tried. I would definitely make it again. My husband loved it as well."
"I made this using gluten-free ingredients (noodles, flour, etc.) and it was amazing!!! Definitely a "bake and take" for church functions!! I love it."
"My husband and I both really loved this recipe! I cut it in half and added Velveeta cheese in as well. Next time I may even add leftover ham in too."
"Made this for a potluck, and I thought it tasted great, except for the onions. I would use about half the amount of onions next time."