Baked Long Johns Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to eight 4-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. x 1-1/2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter. Add milk; stir until smooth. Dip tops of doughnuts in glaze. Return to wire rack; let stand until set. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Baked Long Johns(11)
Sort By :
I was disappointed with these long johns. As other reviewers noted, they were quite dense. I also found them to be rather dry. The chocolate glaze was the only part I enjoyed.
I agree with some of the other reviewers, they are denser than I exected but it was a nice surprise as I was expecting them to be more muffin-like in texture. The denser texture makes them seem more like a donut and the chocolate glaze on top makes them an extra special treat.
i liked the recipe but i'll agree they were denser than i expected. Husband didn't like the bittersweet chocolate so would have to try a sweeter chocolate next time.
I was extremely disappointed in this recipe - I found the Long Johns to be cakey and dense. While they tasted "OK", I definitely would NOT make them again.
This is a impressive 'baked doughnut' glazed in chocolate. Basic recipe serves 8 loaves. Mini-loaf baking pans are called for. Pretty. Tasty!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Doughnuts >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Kids Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >