- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to eight 4-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. x 1-1/2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter. Add milk; stir until smooth. Dip tops of doughnuts in glaze. Return to wire rack; let stand until set. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Baked Long Johns
Sort By :
"I found them very disappointing. Dry and not much flavor. I really feel it is crucial to fry the dough in order to get the proper flavor and texture of a Long John. Ok if you prefer baked or can't have fried. I made a Maple frosting for half also and it still lacked that special flavor."
"I piped vanilla custard into these doughnuts and they were SO good. Less healthy I know, but it made them the perfect amount of moist without being super oily like fried doughnuts.I didn't have those fancy loaf pans, so I just separated 2 standard loaf pans with aluminum foil. It worked perfectly and made the doughnuts really easy to get out of the pan."
"I was disappointed with these long johns. As other reviewers noted, they were quite dense. I also found them to be rather dry. The chocolate glaze was the only part I enjoyed."
"I agree with some of the other reviewers, they are denser than I exected but it was a nice surprise as I was expecting them to be more muffin-like in texture. The denser texture makes them seem more like a donut and the chocolate glaze on top makes them an extra special treat."
"i liked the recipe but i'll agree they were denser than i expected. Husband didn't like the bittersweet chocolate so would have to try a sweeter chocolate next time."