Baked Lentils with Cheese Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1-3/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes and green pepper. Cover and bake 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with parsley and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 289 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 535mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 15g fiber), 26g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Baked Lentils with Cheese
"I just wanted to add that if I make this recipe again, I would not add tomatoes and green peppers. Just my personal preference."
"My grandkids ate this, but it did not have the "Wow" factor that would make them want seconds. I would make this again if I needed something inexpensive."
"Makes a great stew and is also very good in a burrito with salsa & sour cream."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.