Baked Italian Zucchini Boats Recipe
- 6 medium zucchini
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside. Chop zucchini pulp. Transfer to a large bowl; add the bread crumbs, eggs, tomato, Parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic. Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Fill shells zucchini shells.
- 2. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
2 each: 260 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 741mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Baked Italian Zucchini Boats
"Today I chopped up the leftover zucchini boats and felt the need to amend my review. While I wouldn't make the "boats" again, the ingredients will make a good casserole-type side dish. In fact, I found that the stuffing tasted better today, maybe because they had time to blend?"
"I do these all the time but OMIT the bread crumbs, broth, eggs & butter. That would make it more like DRESSING or STUFFING. What I do add for flavor is crumbled SPICY ITALIAN SAUSAGE that I have precooked. I never bother PRE-COOKING the zucchini, as we prefer them TENDER-CRISP. I keep the Italian sausage that I have cooked and crumbled in the freezer in a Ziplok so it is available for these as well as to toss on pizza, put in omelets, etc."
"I hate to be the first reviewer because these were just fair. Some people might like these, but we didn't. I cut the recipe in half, but followed the directions perfectly, using fresh garlic and even grating fresh parmesan cheese because it's so much better than packaged. Even so, it was just okay."