Baked Italian Zucchini Boats Recipe
- 6 medium zucchini
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside. Chop zucchini pulp. Transfer to a large bowl; add the bread crumbs, eggs, tomato, Parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic. Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Fill shells zucchini shells.
- 2. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (2 stuffed zucchini halves) equals 260 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 741 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.