The tantalizing aroma of this savory side dish baking in the oven is sure to whet your appetite. Mom scoops the pulp out of zucchini halves and mixes it with tomato, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and parsley. -Concetta Maranto Skenfield, Bakersfield, California
- 6 medium zucchini
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside. Chop zucchini pulp. Transfer to a large bowl; add the bread crumbs, eggs, tomato, Parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic. Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Fill shells zucchini shells.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Zucchini Boats in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p35
Reviews for Baked Italian Zucchini Boats
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review