Baked Italian Chicken Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. Pound chicken breasts. Coat with flour; dip into eggs. Combine crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; pat onto both sides of chicken. Brush oil onto a foil-lined 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; place chicken in pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add seasonings. Pour over chicken. Drizzle with tomato sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the cheese is lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 425 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 170 mg cholesterol, 1,016 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Reviews for Baked Italian Chicken
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.