Baked Italian Chicken Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pound chicken breasts. Coat with flour; dip into eggs. Combine crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; pat onto both sides of chicken. Brush oil onto a foil-lined 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; place chicken in pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add seasonings. Pour over chicken. Drizzle with tomato sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the cheese is lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Italian Chicken(5)
Sort By :
This was one of my favorite dishes as a child. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease which meant I could not eat this dish without making some changes. Luckily this recipe was easy to make gluten free. I altered by changing the all-purpose flour to corn starch (or GF Flour) and the dry bread crumbs to GF cracker (or bread) crumbs. With those two changes one of my favorite dished growing up was available to me again for consumption! YUM!
A nice change from using just tomato sauce, and this makes a company-worthy presentation. Serve with pasta, salad and bread for a great meal.
I've been making this for years. Everyone loves it.
My sometimes fussy family all loved this chicken! It was moist, tender and flavorful! I did need to bake my chicken breasts longer than directed in the recipe. They were close to a pound each, and I baked them for 30-35 minutes after breading them (before adding sauces and baking another 15 minutes.)
This is must try chicken.....it's terrific. I'm definitely planning on making it often. I serve this with tortellini tossed with olive oil and an italian vegetable medley...yum!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Chicken >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Pasta >
- Chicken Pasta Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >