Baked Ham and Apples Recipe
WHEN Mother wanted to serve ham, she went to the smokehouse, took one down from the rafters and sliced off as much as was needed. The rest was hung up again. This recipe is great if you use real smoked ham with no water added. When Mother prepared it this way, the flavor was especially sweet and buttery. -Marjorie Schmidt, St. Marys, Ohio
- 2 fully cooked bone-in ham steaks (1 pound each)
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium tart apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pepper to taste
- Place ham in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Rub with mustard and sprinkle with brown sugar. Core apples and cut into 3/4-in. slices; arrange in a single layer over ham. Dot with butter and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Baked Ham and Apples in Reminisce November/December 1995, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Baked Ham and Apples(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review