Baked Fruit Compote
Put canned fruit in a fancy, festive mood with a splash of Madeira wine. This dish brightens any winter brunch. Mix and match canned fruits to suit your family’s tastes. —Myrt Pfannkuche, Pell City, Alabama
11 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) grapefruit sections, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup pitted dried plums
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine, optional
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, combine the first six ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil
- over medium heat; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is
- dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in wine if desired. Pour over
- fruit and toss to coat.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated
- through. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 11 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 257 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.