Baked French Toast with Home Style Syrup Recipe
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices day-old French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1-1/4 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a shallow dish or pie plate, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Add bread and soak for 5 minutes, turning once to coat. Coat each slice with cornflake crumbs and place on a well-greased baking sheet. Dot each slice with butter. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. For syrup, combine sugar, corn syrup, water and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in evaporated milk and flavorings.
- 3. Serve over warm French toast. Yield: 6-8 servings.
2 each: 416 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Baked French Toast with Home Style Syrup
"Easy, and delicious. I used cinnabon bread. Liked by all."
"Everyone loved it and asked for it again! With my big family, that is rare!"
"I made this for our families Christmas Eve gathering. All wanted the recipe when they saw how easy it was. Tasted great!!!"