Baked French Toast with Blueberry Sauce Recipe
The sponge-like nature of French toast gives it that “special occasion” feel, though why hold it back when it’s one of the easiest ways to get egg and bread together in the morning? Bring it on with a tangy blueberry sauce. —Debbie Johnson, Centertown, Missouri
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices Texas toast
- BLUEBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1. Pour melted butter on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. In a large shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip both sides of Texas toast into egg mixture; place on prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in blueberries and orange juice concentrate. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with French toast. Yield: 4 servings (1 cup sauce).
2 slices French toast with 1/4 cup sauce equals 481 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 225 mg cholesterol, 549 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Baked French Toast with Blueberry Sauce
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC