Baked Fontina Orzo
The pasta orzo makes a nice alternative to rice. If you like, use 1/2 cup blanched, diced asparagus for the roasted peppers.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease six 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups
- with butter; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl,
- combine orzo, cheese, peppers and olives. Spoon into prepared
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and nutmeg; pour over orzo mixture.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted near the center
- reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 391 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.