- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1 pound cod
- Dash paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, rice, Italian seasoning and garlic powder, bring to a boil. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli, Parmesan cheese and half of the onions. Top with fish fillets; sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese and remaining onions. Return to the oven for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Baked Fish and Rice
Sort By :
"Thanks to Jo G., I've been making this delicious recipe since the early 00's when I saw it in a magazine. My Mom and me's FAVORITE fish dish, and ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE RECIPES!!! The rice always comes out great for me. Only thing is, I add way more french fried onions both in and on top because I love the crunchy flavor. Bouillon cubes are more flavorful than canned broth. Sometimes I use cod, sometimes haddock - both good."
"I increased the amount of rice to 3/4 cup and it was perfect . . . not too dry and not too watery. I just rinsed the broccoli so it was not completely thawed and I think this gave more moisture to the rice. My family loved this dish. It was tasty, flavourful, and they loved the veggies. I will definitely be making this again."
"I made this dish yesterday. I took note about the complaints of under done rice and one of it being watery. I believe there is a connection to these and the solution is: Rather than bring the rice to a boil and pull it from the heat, I left it at a medium boil for 3 minutes and then pulled it. I used Jasmati long grain rice. I changed nothing else in the recipe except the cooking time of the rice at the start. The dish was nothing short of perfect."
"We are not fish people, and yet I really liked this! There was a lot of flavor. Mine turned out a little watery, but that didn't take away from the dish."
"We used cod next time we'll try to follow the recipe"