Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Muenster or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 eggs
- Basil sprigs, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and basil.
- 2. Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce into four greased 6-oz. custard cups. Gently bread an egg into the center of each cup. Spoon remaining sauce over eggs.
- 3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Garnish with basil sprigs if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 228 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 251mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce
"I have been making this dish for a long time when it first published in Quick Cooking Magazine. I lost my issue and did a search on the site and found it without any problem. I was very happy! Put it into my recipe box. This one is always a winner!"