Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce
"A creamy sauce adds great basil flavor to these eggs baked in individual custard cups," says Maria Regakis from her home in Somerville, Massachusetts. "You can even pop the eggs out of the cups and place them between toasted English muffin halves for on-the-go sandwiches."
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Muenster or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 eggs
- Basil sprigs, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter over
- medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually
- add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until
- thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and basil.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce into four greased 6-oz. custard cups.
- Gently bread an egg into the center of each cup. Spoon remaining
- sauce over eggs.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Garnish with
- basil sprigs if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 228 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 251 mg cholesterol, 372 mg sodium,