Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Muenster or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 eggs
- Basil sprigs, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and basil.
- 2. Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce into four greased 6-oz. custard cups. Gently bread an egg into the center of each cup. Spoon remaining sauce over eggs.
- 3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Garnish with basil sprigs if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 228 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 251mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, trace fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce
"I have been making this dish for a long time when it first published in Quick Cooking Magazine. I lost my issue and did a search on the site and found it without any problem. I was very happy! Put it into my recipe box. This one is always a winner!"