Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce Recipe
"A creamy sauce adds great basil flavor to these eggs baked in individual custard cups," says Maria Regakis from her home in Somerville, Massachusetts. "You can even pop the eggs out of the cups and place them between toasted English muffin halves for on-the-go sandwiches."
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Muenster or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs
- Basil sprigs, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and basil.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce into four greased 6-oz. custard cups. Gently bread an egg into the center of each cup. Spoon the remaining sauce over eggs.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Garnish with basil sprigs if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p12
Reviews for Baked Eggs with Basil Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review