- 2 small eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the tomatoes, onion, Italian seasoning, and remaining salt and pepper in remaining oil. Add spinach; cook 1 minute longer. Add spinach; stir until wilted. Combine the ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and egg; stir into tomato mixture.
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with tomato mixture and pasta sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Eggplant Italiano
"I love this recipe! My teenage children love it as well. It has great flavor....it makes regular lasagna seem heavy"
"Excellent! First time I ever cooked eggplant and it was great. Great way to get veggies in and a benefit it was low in calories."