Baked Egg Rolls Recipe
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups finely diced cooked chicken
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 1. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; add the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetable are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar and cayenne until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; remove from the heat.
- 3. Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward center and roll tightly. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat.
- 4. Spray tops of egg rolls with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (2 each) equals 261 calories,518 mg sodium, 27 mg cholesterol, 45 gm carbohydrate, 13 gm protein, 3 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer