Baked Creamed Onions
I often fix this comforting dish for my grown children when they visit. They love it when I double the recipe so they can take leftovers home! This recipe can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated before baking.
5 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 5 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 5 minutes. Add water
- and allspice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Combine flour and evaporated milk until smooth; gradually stir into
- the onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Stir in sugar and salt.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese and
- bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or
- until bubbly. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 192 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 367 mg sodium,