Baked Cranberry Pudding Recipe
This is an old-fashioned pudding that's a cranberry lover's delight. Serve warm topped with whipped cream for an elegant look, or in bowls with rich cream poured over for a homey touch. —Lucy Meyring, Walden, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:10 servings
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 cups whole cranberries
- Thin orange peel strips, optional
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, orange peel, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and salt. Stir in chopped cranberries. In another bowl, mix the brown sugar, cream, butter, vanilla and egg yolks. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be stiff.)
- 3. Add remaining cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 4. Meanwhile, for topping, combine sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries; reduce heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until berries begin to burst. Remove from the heat; cover and keep warm.
- 5. When pudding tests done, place springform pan on a 15-in. x 10-in. baking pan. Spoon cranberry mixture over top. Return to the oven; bake 10 minutes longer.
- 6. Cool for 10 minutes before removing sides of springform pan. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving. If made ahead, pudding can be warmed in a 350° oven for 10 minutes. If desired, top with orange peel strips before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece equals 402 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC