- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs and soup mix. Add beef and beaten eggs; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls. Arrange in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over uncooked meatballs.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour. Uncover; bake 20-30 minutes longer or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Baked Cranberry Meatballs
"I took this recipe to a potluck and, while I wasn't overly impressed with the taste, others claimed these to be the best meatballs ever! Four stars for that!"
"WOW! What a fabulous flavor punch. I cut the recipe in half (cooking for only 2) but accidentally used full amount of water. No worries - simply cooked uncovered for 1.5 hrs, stirring occasionally and both the meat and sauce came out perfectly. We ate them as sliders on Kings Hawaiian rolls. I didn't share the recipe ahead of time with my hubby because I wanted him to judge it on taste alone. He gave it 2 big thumbs up - zingy, saucy, sweet, tangy. What more could you ask for? Moving this from the "Gotta Try" to "I'ts a Keeper" board on Pinterest!"