Baked Cinnamon French Toast
"There's no last-minute preparation and you can serve several people at once with this casserole," reports bed-and-breakfast owner Lo Ann Brennock of Cloverdale, California. "My guests love the smooth custardy bottom layer topped with thick slices of cinnamon bread."
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 12 slices cinnamon bread, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 9 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Warmed blackberry preserves, optional
- Whipped cream, optional
- Line the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with six
- slices of bread. butter remaining bread; place with butter side up
- over bread in pan. In a bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, cream, sugar and
- vanilla; mix well. Pour over bread; let stand for 15 minutes. Place
- the dish in a larger baking pan. Pour boiling water into large pan
- to a depth of 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or
- until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand
- for 10 minutes before serving. Top with preserves and whipped cream
- if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 848 calories, 55 g fat (30 g saturated fat), 470 mg cholesterol, 512 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.