"There's no last-minute preparation and you can serve several people at once with this casserole," reports bed-and-breakfast owner Lo Ann Brennock of Cloverdale, California. "My guests love the smooth custardy bottom layer topped with thick slices of cinnamon bread."
- 12 slices cinnamon bread, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 9 eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Warmed blackberry preserves, optional
- Whipped cream, optional
- Line the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with six slices of bread. butter remaining bread; place with butter side up over bread in pan. In a bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, cream, sugar and vanilla; mix well. Pour over bread; let stand for 15 minutes. Place the dish in a larger baking pan. Pour boiling water into large pan to a depth of 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Top with preserves and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Cinnamon French Toast in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p17
Reviews for Baked Cinnamon French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review