Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts Recipe
Baking these light raised pastries is a delicious alternative to frying.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk and shortening; stir for 1 minute. Add eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, nutmeg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. In a shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 190 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC