Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk and shortening; stir for 1 minute. Add eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, nutmeg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. In a shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 each: 190 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts
"Very easy, and yummy."
"For Antoinette Edmonds, you can substitute 1 cup shortening for 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter. Hope this helped you."
"When a recipe calls for 'shortening', does it really have to be Crisco Lard? Can an oil be substituted instead, and if so, how much,"
"I had this recipe years ago and lost it! So glad to find it again."
"I will be very interested in how your batch comes out! I am looking for good recipes that will be served as a -"coffee and" before a morning country music show"
"I have a batch of these going right now; I was very interested in making some kind of doughnut that did not have to be fried.I found that I needed to an more flour than recommended in the recipe to get a workable dough.At this moment my doughnuts are in the rising stage. I am really looking forward to sampling this treat and sharing it with my family!"