- 2-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- In a nonstick skillet, simmer the chicken, salsa, onion, cumin and oregano until heated through and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the broth, bouillon and pepper. Cook until bouillon is dissolved. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chilies; cook until heated through. To serve, cut chimichangas in half; top with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Chimichangas
Sort By :
"Love this recipe! I have even used milk if I don't have 1/2 and 1/2 and although it isn't as thick the gravy still tastes delicious!"
"This dish was amazing! And on top of that it's a cinch to make. A love the sauce, so simple yet lots of flavour. I didn't have half and half, but I used whipping cream, which may have made it extra creamy, which for me, is perfect!"
"Super Yummy. Will be making this again. :)"
"This dish was excellent. My son thought I bought it frozen. I planned to have the leftovers for lunch; but was too late. My family had already gobbled them up!"
"I have to agree - excellent. I used mild salsa, added green chilis to the meat mixture, and omitted the sauce because I didn't have half-and-half. Since I like things a tad spicier, I'll use medium spicy salsa next time. But my husband ate two and I had to restrain myself. He said it's the best he's had all year."