Baked Chimichangas Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, simmer the chicken, salsa, onion, cumin and oregano until heated through and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 2. Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
- 3. Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the broth, bouillon and pepper. Cook until bouillon is dissolved. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chilies; cook until heated through. To serve, cut chimichangas in half; top with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 chimichanga with 1/4 cup sauce) equals 423 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,326 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.