Baked Chili Recipe
This main dish is wonderful the first day and also makes outstanding leftovers. As a student living on my own, I love savory one-pot suppers like this that provide several days of tasty meals.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- CORN BREAD BISCUITS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, over medium heat, cook beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Beat egg, milk and sour cream until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Transfer chili to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto hot chili. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-17 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 411 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,094 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC