A tangy form-scratch sauce makes this tender chicken extra flavorful. My mom is an excellent cook who has fixed delicious dishes like this one for years. If you're in a hurry, just prepare it ahead and pop it in the oven when you get home.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large saucepan, whisk flour and water until smooth. Stir in brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Baked Chicken in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p35
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review