"Baked chicken is quick, easy and makes such great comfort food," Shirley Glaab notes from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. With fresh vegetables and a creamy gravy, this version is sure to warm you through and through.
- 6 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 plum tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine 5 teaspoons flour, salt, mustard and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Brush chicken with lemon juice, then sprinkle both wides with flour mixture. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange tomato, onion and mushrooms around chicken. Dot with butter; sprinkle with remaining pepper. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm. Pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a small saucepan. Stir milk into remaining flour until smooth; gradually stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over chicken and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Baked Chicken with Milk Gravy in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p49
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Baked Chicken with Milk Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review