"I love zucchini, so this colorful dish is one of my favorites," writes Sheryl Goodnough of Eliot, Maine. "I make it often in summer. It's especially good with tomatoes fresh from the garden."
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Place the remaining crumbs in a large resealable plastic bag. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved bread crumbs over the zucchini. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, basil and remaining salt. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Baked Chicken and Zucchini in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p19
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Chicken and Zucchini
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review