- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Place the remaining crumbs in a large resealable plastic bag. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved bread crumbs over the zucchini. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, basil and remaining salt. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Chicken and Zucchini
Sort By :
"Delicious way to use up my garden zucchini!"
"Good chicken. My zucchini ended up too soggy but the flavor of the entire dish was good!"
"Excellent!!! I added slices of onion, mushrooms, and lots of fresh garlic to the zucchini. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Love,love,love this recipe! I've been making it since it was first published-one of my familys favorites."