- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Place the remaining crumbs in a large resealable plastic bag. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved bread crumbs over the zucchini. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, basil and remaining salt. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Chicken and Zucchini
"Delicious way to use up my garden zucchini!"
"Good chicken. My zucchini ended up too soggy but the flavor of the entire dish was good!"
"Excellent!!! I added slices of onion, mushrooms, and lots of fresh garlic to the zucchini. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Love,love,love this recipe! I've been making it since it was first published-one of my familys favorites."
"Tasty, excellent flavor! Good combination of veggies."
"My husband loved this recipe. It was a great dinner to make when zucchini is plentiful."
"Out of this world delicious!"