Baked Chicken and Acorn Squash
This eye-pleasing main dish is ideal for harvesttime with its colorful acorn squash and sweet peaches. The fragrance of rosemary-seasoned chicken baking is heavenly. My family says it's every bit as delicious as it smells.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 small acorn squash (1-1/4 pounds each)
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, undrained
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut each half widthwise
- into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place slices in an ungreased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic and drizzle with 1
- tablespoon oil.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil. Arrange chicken
- over squash. Combine the brown sugar, rosemary and salt; sprinkle
- over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes, basting
- with pan juices twice.
- Pour peaches over chicken and squash. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes
- longer or until a thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.