Baked Chicken and Acorn Squash Recipe
- 2 small acorn squash (1-1/4 pounds each)
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, undrained
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place slices in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil. Arrange chicken over squash. Combine the brown sugar, rosemary and salt; sprinkle over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes, basting with pan juices twice.
- 3. Pour peaches over chicken and squash. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Baked Chicken and Acorn Squash
"Easy to make. The fragrance is wonderful and the flavor even better. I served it to guest and it was a big hit."
"looks great... looking for recipes to use all this squash from the garden. wonder if I could use just regular yellow squash?"
"I served this to guests for my first time making it. I most definitely did not go wrong! The ooo's and ahhhh's lasted all evening! Even my husband was giving me the wide-eyed look. I did make a few changes to the recipe. I used pears instead of peaches, Costco's seasoning salt instead of regular salt (same amount) and butternut squash instead of acorn. I also doubled the recipe. Delicious!"
"This was a surprisingly good dish. I was a little concerned, as it looked like a lot of liquid in the pan, but my husband and son devoured it. The chicken picks up a nice flavor from the squash, peaches and rosemary. I used boneless breasts, which I thought got a little dry, so I think next time I will use bone-in chicken pieces."
"Great using chicken breasts too!"
"I would not only make this again - but I will add this recipe to my "bring a meal to people" list!This was so easy and so delicious!Some things I adjusted (because I do that a lot)- garlic powder, instead of fresh- olive oil, I always use olive for everything- frozen chicken breasts,instead of bone-in...- and I forgot to baste, but that was ok because for some reason I thought the recipe called for a drizzling of honey.....- nor did I do any "browning" of the meatNow for presentation and time allowing - I think I would stick to the original recipe. The way I did it tonight, though, was perfect because at 5:30 I didn't even have a plan.....just some beautiful Acorn Squash that needed a new idea!My seven girls loved it....and so did their picky dad!"
"This was delicious!! It would not fit in a 9X13" pan so I just used my big roasting pan. But it's definitely a keeper - a great fall recipe!"
"Everyone loved it. I'd add a little broth, next time."
"This was wonderful. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and fresh rosemary. I increased the brown sugar to 1/2 cup. It is so tasty."