My friends and family commonly request this old family favorite. Because the sauce works well with a number of Italian meals, I make a large batch to use for weekday dinners or last minute company.
Recommended: 25 of Our Cheesiest Recipes Ever
- 3 cups uncooked mostaccioli
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook mostaccioli according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, sausage, onion, peppers, mushrooms and garlic over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up meat into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese and mostaccioli. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Cheesy Mostaccioli in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p24
Reviews for Baked Cheesy Mostaccioli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review