- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 package (19 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian Sausage Links; removed from casing
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk (not skim)
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
- 2 egg yolks
- 12 cannelloni pasta shells
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- FOR THE FILLING:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the onion to soften and the mushrooms to release liquid.
- Once most of the liquid has dissipated, add sausage, crumbling it with a wooden spoon into small pieces as it cooks. Stir and cook all ingredients until the onion is softened and the sausage is no longer pink and is starting to brown. Set aside.
- FOR THE BECHAMEL SAUCE:
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until well incorporated. Slowly, add milk and whisk together until smooth. Continue whisking until sauce comes to a slow boil and starts to thicken. Stir half this sauce into sausage mixture. Reserve the other half to pour on top of the cannelloni. Add cubed mozzarella to the sausage-and-sauce mixture and continue stirring, while slowly whisking in the egg yolks; mix to combine; cover and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse until cold water and reserve, being careful to keep the pasta from breaking.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread 3/4 cup of the reserved béchamel sauce on the bottom of a 9-in. x 13-in. oiled baking dish. Spoon filling into each pasta tube. Start from one end and use your finger to push the filling all the way through.
- Nestle the cannelloni in the sauce and cover with remaining béchamel sauce. Top with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of oregano.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until heated through and cheese starts to turn golden. Remove from oven, let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Cannelloni in Johnsonville® Sausage 2015
Reviews for Baked Cannelloni
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2014
"Wonderful. A must at my house."
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2014
"This is super yummy. How can you go wrong with pasta and sausage and cheese? Very rich. I'll only make this for company or something special. There's a reason they don't include the nutritional information, lol!"