- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 package (19 oz.) Johnsonville® Italian Sausage Links; removed from casing
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk (not skim)
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
- 2 egg yolks
- 12 cannelloni pasta shells
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Meat filling for pasta:
- In a large skillet, crumble and cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink and lightly browned; drain, remove from pan and set aside. In the same skillet, heat oil and sauté onions and mushrooms until tender and excess moisture has evaporated. Add sausage to skillet and set aside.
- Sauce Preparation:
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir until smooth. Continue to cook and stir until mixture is golden in color, about 3-4 minutes. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, until sauce comes to a boil and thickens, about 6-8 minutes. Pour one-half of the sauce into the skillet with sausage mixture. Set remaining sauce aside. Return skillet with sausage mixture to the stovetop. Over medium heat, add 3 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese and continue to stir. Gradually add egg yolks and cook until cheese is melted and mixture is hot. Remove from heat and cover.
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse with cold water. Spread 3/4 cup of the reserved sauce in the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in.x 2-in. baking dish. Using a large piping bag or plastic bag with a corner snipped off, fill bag with sausage mixture. Carefully squeeze filling into each end of the cooked pasta. Arrange pasta in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Top with Parmesan cheese and oregano. Bake uncovered, at 400F for 40-45 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Baked Cannelloni
"The cannelloni itself was wonderful and the family requested to make again! It was a bit involved to make, I could probably make a lasagna in quicker time.I only gave it 4 stars due to the directions themselves. I think there were a few errors and omissions. First of all, think the 2nd mozzarella listed and parmasan were mixed up. Mozzarella should be shredded (not grated) and the Parmesan should be grated (not shredded). 3/4 cup of the reserved sauce was used for the bottom of the pan but what about the remainder of the reserved sauce??? I thought it was odd to put the cheese directly on the pasta shell itself so I poured the remaining sauce over the filled shells then topped with cheese. The cheese started to brown fast. I'd recommend covering during cooking or adding the cheese in the last 10-15 minutes. At the 25 min point, the dish was bubbling pretty good so the full 40 minutes may not be necessary or give reason to cover early on."
"Wonderful. A must at my house."
"This is super yummy. How can you go wrong with pasta and sausage and cheese? Very rich. I'll only make this for company or something special. There's a reason they don't include the nutritional information, lol!"