Baked Calico Rice
I FOUND this pretty rice dish in a salad oil ad in the Ladies' Home Journal back in 1948. It's a favorite not only for its good taste, but for its simplicity of preparation.
A potluck and picnic pleaser, this side dish travels well.
-Dorothy Lama, Lindsay, California
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 2-qt. baking dish, combine all ingredients. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until rice is tender, stirring
- occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 227 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 581 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.