Baked Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Brush squash halves with butter. In a small bowl, combine the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper; sprinkle over squash halves. Place 2 teaspoons brown sugar in each half. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over cut sides of squash.
- 2. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-25 minutes longer until squash is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup cooked squash) equals 106 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Baked Butternut Squash
"My squash was already cut up into cubes, I tossed it with the other ingredients and baked. Great fall side dish!"
"Baked the recommended time and then added the additional time as mentioned in the recipe. It was still hard as a rock. Cut t up in bites and MW'd for 10 minutes, cut it into bites and fed it to the 5 dogs (they need veggies too."
"Great taste. I peel and chunk then toss with butter and spices. Roast 400* approx 35 min."
"This was excellant just the way it was!"
"I thought this turned out perfect. I will definitely make again with other types of squash."
"I changed this recipe just a tad, by peeling the squash, and cutting it into 2 inch cubes. I used acorn squash in place of the butternut a few times and it came out great. The guys at my husbands deer camp think this is a fantastic recipe."