Baked Butternut Squash
Heidi Vawdrey takes advantage of fabulous fall produce by baking up this scrumptious side dish in Riverton, Utah. Lightly seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar, the squash offers plenty of harvest-fresh flavor.
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Brush squash halves
- with butter. In a small bowl, combine the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and
- pepper; sprinkle over squash halves. Place 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- in each half. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over cut sides of
- Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-25
- minutes longer until squash is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup cooked squash) equals 106 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.