Baked Brunch Sandwiches
Serving brunch to your bunch is a breeze when you prepare these sandwiches the night before. They combine the flavor of grilled ham and cheese (plus a little zip from Dijon mustard) with the puffy texture of French toast.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 12 slices bread
- 6 slices fully cooked ham
- 12 slices cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Spread mustard on one side of six slices of bread. Layer the ham,
- cheese and tomato over mustard; top with remaining bread. Butter the
- outsides of the sandwiches; cut in half. Arrange in a greased 13-in.
- x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and pepper; pour over
- sandwiches. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in
- the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.