Baked Brie in a Bread Bowl Recipe
This rich treat gets wonderful flavor from ripe pears, fresh thyme, crunchy almonds and creamy Brie. Once baked, it cuts nicely into savory wedges.—Mary Lou Timpson, Colorado City, Arizona
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- 1 round Brie cheese (8 ounces), halved horizontally
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the wine, brown sugar and seasonings. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook shallots in butter until tender. Add pears; cook and stir 3 minutes longer. Add wine mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- 2. Cut the top fourth off of the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out enough of bread from the bottom so cheese will fit (discard removed bread or save for another use). Layer half of the cheese, pear mixture and almonds in bread. Repeat layers. Replace bread top. Wrap in a large piece of heavy-duty foil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 155 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Baked Brie in a Bread Bowl
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC