Baked Blueberry French Toast Recipe
- 24 slices day-old French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place 12 slices of bread in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a blender or food processor, combine cream cheese, milk, sour cream, yogurt, syrup, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add egg substitute; cover and process until smooth.
- 2. Pour half of the egg mixture over bread; sprinkle with blueberries. Top with the remaining bread and egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (2 slices) equals 228 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat-free milk, 1/2 fruit.