Baked Black-Eyed Peas
Black-eyed peas are a nice change of pace in this cheesy casserole. Use whatever type of enchilada sauce you prefer...or try a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.—Janelle Buschman, Waka, Texas
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until the
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Add peas, soup and enchilada sauce;
- mix well.
- Sprinkle tortilla chips in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Layer with half of the beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Baked Black-Janelle Buschman, Waka, Texas-Eyed Peas can be served as an appetizer with tortilla chips for dipping.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 524 calories, 31 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 1,049 mg sodium,