Baked Beefy Spanish Rice
This recipe came from my husband's grandmother. It's quick to make and very tasty. Hearty helpings of this specially seasoned rice disappear in a hurry at our dinner table.—Ruth Ann Klassen, Aberdeen, Idaho
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet,
- cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in tomatoes, seasonings and rice.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 50-55 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10
- minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Using instant brown rice in Beef Spanish Rice recipe cuts down on the cooking time. Try substituting cheddar cheese with a more mild Monterey Jack Cheese.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 264 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 897 mg sodium,