Baked Beefy Onion Soup Recipe
This is the only onion soup recipe I know of that is baked in a casserole, making it easy to serve to a crowd as a fist course. I love this recipe for dinner parties because it can be made ahead. This rich soup can also be a meal in itself.
- 1-1/2 pounds meaty beef soup bones
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. In a soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours. Strain the broth, discarding soup bones, carrot and seasoning; skim fat.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions in butter over medium heat for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Divide the onions among six ovenproof bowls. Ladle about 1 cup broth onto each. Top each with a slice of bread and Swiss cheese. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 474 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 932mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein
Reviews for Baked Beefy Onion Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC