Baked Beefy Onion Soup
This is the only onion soup recipe I know of that is baked in a casserole, making it easy to serve to a crowd as a fist course. I love this recipe for dinner parties because it can be made ahead. This rich soup can also be a meal in itself.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + simmering Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds meaty beef soup bones
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- In a soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil
- over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Strain the broth, discarding soup bones, carrot and seasoning; skim
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions in butter over medium
- heat for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Divide the onions among
- six ovenproof bowls. Ladle about 1 cup broth onto each. Top each
- with a slice of bread and Swiss cheese. Bake at 350° for 50-55
- minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 474 calories, 23 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 932 mg sodium,