When I was growing up in Ohio, my mother often made this stew for Sunday dinner. She'd put it in the oven before we left for church, and I remember how pleasant it was to come home to such a wonderful aroma! No one ever was late sitting down at the table on those days!
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 6 medium carrots, cut into strips
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 cup water
- In large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Spoon into a greased 3-qt. casserole. Cover and bake at 325° for 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Beef Stew in Country February/March 1991, p51
Reviews for Baked Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review