Baked Beef and Brown Rice
Ever since a neighbor shared this recipe a few years ago, it's been a family favorite. Wheat germ and brown rice give an added boost of nutrition.Pam Goodlet, Washington Island, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer rice, onion, carrots,
- beef and green pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Combine the tomato juice,
- Worcestershire sauce and basil; pour over the top. Sprinkle with
- cheese and wheat germ. cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or
- until the rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Wheat germ is very perishable. So be sure to only store it tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 468 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 1,372 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein.