Ever since a neighbor shared this recipe a few years ago, it's been a family favorite. Wheat germ and brown rice give an added boost of nutrition.—Pam Goodlet, Washington Island, Wisconsin
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer rice, onion, carrots, beef and green pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Combine the tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and basil; pour over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and wheat germ. cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Beef and Brown Rice in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p310
Reviews for Baked Beef and Brown Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2014
"The rice takes forever to cook. If you try I would suggest cooking the brown rice first and cutting some time off the baking time."