- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the onion and jalapeno in oil until onion is tender. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the water, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, chili powder and Liquid Smoke if desired. Stir in the beans and onion mixture.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until beans are bubbly and as thick as desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Molasses Baked Beans in Light & Tasty October 2005, p63
Reviews for Baked Bean
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2014
"Easy and delicious. Love the flavor."
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2013
"Oh yes, I will definitely make this recipe again! I overdid it a bit on the heat because I had pinto beans with jalepenos, but we all loved them."
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2010
"Easy to make and the flavor was excelent."