Baked Barley and Wild Rice Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine wild rice and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir barley in butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 2 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in the broth, water chestnuts, almonds, soup mix, garlic salt, onion powder, cooked rice and remaining water.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour, stirring twice. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup: 119 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Baked Barley and Wild Rice
"mine came out pretty watery, so I'm reducing water to 3 cups and see what happens."