- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a small saucepan, combine wild rice and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir barley in butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 2 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in the broth, water chestnuts, almonds, soup mix, garlic salt, onion powder, cooked rice and remaining water.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour, stirring twice. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Baked Barley and Wild Rice in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p40
Reviews for Baked Barley and Wild Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2009
"mine came out pretty watery, so I'm reducing water to 3 cups and see what happens."