Baked Barbecued Spareribs Recipe
You'll need extra dinner napkins when you serve these tender ribs because they're so finger-lickin' good. The thick and tangy sauce has bits of celery and onion as well as a cayenne pepper kick. The ribs are perfect for summer picnics. -Nancy Horsburgh, Everett, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 6 pounds pork spareribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, brown ribs in batches in oil. Place ribs, bone side down, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Drain ribs; brush with some of the sauce. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender, brushing frequently with remaining sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 pound) equals 992 calories, 73 g fat (26 g saturated fat), 265 mg cholesterol, 870 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 63 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC