Baked Barbecued Broilers
You'll need just six ingredients for the simple sauce that coats these tender chickens from Mary Ellen Wix of Harrington, Delaware. The recipe makes enough for a hearty supper yet leaves plenty for meals later in the week.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 80 min. + standing
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place chickens, breast side up, in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chickens. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Cover and bake 20-30 minutes
- longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and juices run
- clear. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 pieces) equals 240 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.