Baked Barbecued Beef
THIS WAS one of the first "American" dishes I enjoyed in 1949 after arriving in the United States from New Zealand.
It's now the most-used recipe in my recipe box! It's easy to prepare and so well liked. I've willingly shared it with my grandchildren and friends.
-Mercia Miner, Canfield, Ohio
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 to 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef and onions; drain. Stir in the next eight
- ingredients. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 hours, stirring
- occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 296 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 774 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.